- If your department can work when you travel for customer meetings, so can they when you take vacations.
- If your department cannot move an inch without you, then it is a shame on your management style – you have not built an organization that is self sustaining – start building it.
In any case, there are many reasons why you must take vacations.
- If you travel and meet more people, the more you learn. The more you learn the wiser you become. It is not with a reason the great philosophers and kings in those days travelled around the world or went on voyages.
- When you are away from the rut of routine, new ideas crop up. You can broaden your horizons and out-of-the-box thinking may emerge. Simpler solutions to solve complex issues!
- It will be the time to pursue your other interests – writing a book, photography, snorkeling or climbing the Kota Kinabalu.
- It is a time to think and plan. Even a planned vacation forces you to work hard before you leave and finish stuff that otherwise would have taken weeks.
- When you come back, you are energized and raring to go to take your team and the organization to the next level – the right thing to do.
Always plan your vacation in advance. Pick your dates, let your bosses know. Never cancel, Never leave a phone number. It might be hard first – but try it. Soon it will become a norm.
Experiment and go to different places.
But always go. Get out of the rut. Smell fresh air. Get fresh ideas. Find new ways of doing things.